Blog post by T.J. Akisanya
Gaining the Adobe Captivate Specialist Certification
Questions & Answers
Originally Posted: Tuesday, 30 October 2018
Earlier this month, I attended the Adobe Learning Summit in Las Vegas and was part of the second cohort to gain the Adobe Captivate Specialist Certification. Since returning, several people have asked what it was like, so I’ve decided to share the Q&A in this inaugural blog post.
How did you find out about it...
It was advertised on the Adobe Captivate product page.
A similar advertisement is posted there today. You can find the Adobe Captivate Specialist certification by following the instructions below.
In case this information is out of date by the time you read it, you can also find announcements posted on the Adobe e-Learning Community forum.
To locate the Adobe Captivate Specialist information:
- Scroll slowly down the page until you locate the thin banner announcing the Adobe e-Learning Conference (it should be just under the main image).
- Click the Register Now link to open the conference registration page.
- Scroll to the bottom of the conference registration page.
Who was there...
There were around 400 people taking the certification exam, but many more attended the free Learning Summit on day 2.
Plus of course, a significant number of Adobe employees.
I was impressed to see the Captivate software developers assisting instructors in the Refresher classes.
I found myself taking the exam alongside many long-time users like myself, and a few intermediate users. I never personally met any beginners.
How often is it offered...
Adobe currently offers the certification twice a year --in the Spring in Washington, D.C. and in the Fall in Las Vegas, Nevada. This article states that it was first offered in Spring 2018.
What were you awarded...
Framed and soft copies of my certificate.
A soft copy of a Captivate Specialist tag for my website, business cards and such.
What was the process like..
I think this is best explained along a timeline...
- Register for the conference.
- Receive an automated verification with a link to conference-rate hotel reservations.
2 Weeks Before the Conference
- Receive an invitation to take the online pre-certification refresher course in Captivate Prime.
- The course covers all major functionality within Adobe Captivate --including new features released in Captivate 2019.
- Content is divided over 20 chapters, each consisting of a number of short modules.
Adobe Learning Summit Day 1
- Attend an all-day refresher class;
- sit the Captivate Certification exam at the end of the day. The exam is open-book; a passing score is 70% or more. No retakes are permitted on the day.
Adobe Learning Summit Day 2
- Attend the conference and workshops;
- receive your framed Captivate Specialist certificate (assuming you passed the exam), and have your photo taken by a professional photographer (courtesy of Adobe).
- Receive a soft copy via email almost immediately.
Approximately 10 days after the Summit
Adobe sends a soft copy of your certificate via email, as well as a link to your credential validation ephemera on Cred.ly.